Monday, May 28, 2018

Script thumbs

So once we have our approved script I like to do what are called "Script Thumbs". These are thumbnail ideas/concepts and compositional suggestions, beating out the entire script so that the team understands what I'm looking for more clearly.
Sometimes I will include photo reference for a prop in order to help out our design department.
For this particular show I also plan on adopting a strategy usually employed on feature films. This would be transferring my thumbs into an animatic for the episode where we only have the major beats boarded. Working with the editor I'll be able to tell where we may need additional shots, where we need to cut in or need additional visual information. The idea here is to avoid boarding unnecessary scenes or cutting for the sake of cutting. Each shot should have a clear purpose in telling the story...clearly.
Below are a few samples of my 'thumbs' approach.




No comments:

Post a Comment